Friday, October 30, 2009

Trapped in a Foxhole?


I love the NY Yankees and have since my mother told me about Babe Ruth when I was a very little kid. When I was eight, she bought me a baseball hat with the N and Y on it, and I wore it constantly. I couldn't get enough of that hat! Somewhere around October of 1973, though, I realized that it was actually a NY Met hat, but that isn't important!

The Yankees have their own broadcast network called the YES network. Most of the time, they replay old Yankees games (all Yankee victories; no place for losses on their own network!) and something called the Yankeeography. Basically, anyone that played for the Yankees gets one of these. The narrator talks incessantly about the subject and you learn where the ballplayer was born, where he played high school ball and most importantly, what he did to beat the hated Red Sox. Most people couldn't change the channel fast enough, but I endure.

Now, one of the best shows on the network is something called CenterStage. Michael Kay hosts this show and his guests are mostly sports figures, but occasionally you will see people famous for other reasons. In fact, Paul Simon was one of his best guests. Near the end of the show, Mr. Kay asks five personal questions of the guest in a segment that he calls, Hit and Run.

The last question in Hit and Run is "If you were trapped in a foxhole, which person would you want in there to help you get out?" For me, Tammie would be a pretty fair answer to this question. She was a very determined person who could be extremely tenacious when she really wanted something. Also, she always made me laugh and was one of the funniest people that I have ever known. I think that you need a few belly laughs when you're up against it! Lastly, she loved and cared for me very much and she proved it from the day I was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment