Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nickname Origins



When we were little, Tammie and I used to have a little trouble getting along. In 1969, my parents took us to the NYS Fair and during that visit, I remember watching this futuristic display that included a female robot dressed in a tight black outfit. Now, this robot may have been some down-on-her luck fashion model trying to earn some spare change, but how did I know? I mean, I was just four at the time. The robot was the most amazing thing that I had ever seen. We watched in awe, as she walked around the stage (which was set-up as a kitchen of the future) and opened cupboards and the refrigerator and put TV dinners in the oven. She was very reminiscent of Julie Newmar's Catwoman. Although, I don't recall this robot having a face.

All was well until Tammie and I had some disagreement that caused us to climb up on the stage and start an Ali-Frazier type battle before there was an Ali-Frazier. I really was no match for her, but I gamely hung on. According to my Dad, someone from the crowd laughed and yelled out, "Look at that little guy go!" My father sheepishly climbed up and dragged us off and away from the gorgeous female robot and the the kitchen of the future.

I'm not sure if this is where Tammie earned her "Tam Terrific" nickname, but I certainly remember her shouting it out in future years, as she pummeled me into submission.

1 comment:

  1. Tammie and I go back a long way. I am the son of Tammie's mother's aunt so that makes us some special relative!

    My first memory of Tammie was when I was going to SU in my freshman year of the fall of 1962. I was a preppie type with short hair and had no idea what the 60's had in store for me or anyone else. Tammie was a cute toddler who was happy to have more people to hang out with. Somewhere in a photo album in some closet or cellar is a great picture of Tammie and me on the front lawn of her house on Prior Drive. I remember it so well. Those were such great times.

    Years later, Tammie took over my role of stirring things up at family gatherings although I am not sure that she realized that I was the originator. I always enjoyed our picnics or holiday gatherings where the family members got together for fun times and good conversations. Tammie was a lot like me in that regard as she enjoyed not being silent during the "interesting" family conversations although we both never took things too seriously. Or at least I didn't!

    My last time that I have seen my "relative" Tammie was at my daughter's wedding in Boston about 2 1/2 years ago. She looked beautiful and seemed to have a great time- we both have something else in common- we enjoy parties. My daughter Sarah was so happy that Tammie was able to come to her wedding.

    As I was leaving the reception- the party was over obviously- I walked out with Tammie and remember thanking her for coming. We had a big hug and talked about seeing each other at the next balloon rally. Unfortunately I have not been able to make it the last few years.

    Tammie, I love you and wish you a miracle.

    David Burger

    ReplyDelete