Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Flair for the Dramatic

Tammie and Tammy Thompson (neighborhood friend)

Tam pictured with the infamous tree boy

Tammie has always had an interest in music and the other fine arts. How else could you explain why I was subjected to so many showings of Gigi during my formative years? I still remember how she took these piano lessons from this strange hippy girl and how she mastered all those early Seventies tunes.

In high school, Tam took part in talent shows and once did a mean rendition of Midnight Blue with a couple of good friends. When she was small, she took dance lessons and they put on these awesome recitals. Of course, I was sick one year and clearly do not remember the others, but there is a pretty fair chance that they were awesome. Also, we loved to put on these little home productions, and if there were ever a need for a tree boy, I always was ready to go.

She spent summers at a Methodist retreat called Casowasco. I also frequented this place, but at different times and camps. My last year there, however, I decided that I wanted to go with her and we both attended Casowasco's Creative Arts Camp. To be honest, I was mostly interested in seeing this girl from my church, but alas she didn't attend that year. As a result, I was stuck for two weeks with a bunch of singers, artsy types and a roommate named, "Corky". Tammie excelled, however, and landed the role of Mary Magdalene in the musical, Godspell. She certainly put on a show.

Casowasco Creative Arts Camp (Tam is near the front and behind the girl wearing the smiley shirt. I am right behind Tam)

No comments:

Post a Comment