Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Unicorn Song



My parents used to buy a lot of their furniture at this store in Syracuse called Dunk and Bright Furniture on the South Side of Syracuse. They had lived in the surrounding area when they first came to town and they still had ties to some of the businesses there. Williams Appliance store on South Avenue was another place that they frequented and they purchased an avocado refrigerator and giant Zenith TV there, among other things. Dunk and Bright's is still in the same location, although the neighborhood has changed. When I was going to Syracuse University in the late 1980's, a policeman named Wally Howard was shot and killed near a market across the street.

Tammie and I liked to go to Dunk and Bright's around St. Patrick's Day, because they had great hot chocolate and gifts for people that purchased furniture. In addition, they had a huge showroom and separate areas for carpeting and budget furniture. You could spend all day at O'Dunk and O'Bright's (As it was known on St. Patrick's Day) listening to Irish music and looking around. Of course, my Mom and Dad spent a lot of money there, too. In fact, I remember picking out my bedroom furniture there and my parents actually bought it for me.

Today is my first birthday without Tammie and I was thinking back to when she and I first heard this song by the Irish Rovers. We would always get laughing everytime we would hear it and we loved to mimic the voices of the performers. The first time we heard it was during one of our family furniture shopping trips on the South Side of Syracuse.


No comments:

Post a Comment