Monday, March 1, 2010

Train Whistles, Memories and Love


I miss the magic of being in bed and listening to the whistle as the train roared by Dyke St. I remember wondering where it was headed and wishing that I could be on it. I could never figure out how to make that happen, but the desire always remained.

We always looked forward to Easter and our trips to visit our grandparents. There was something quite homey and familiar about their home and town. For me, it was the beginning of spring and the chance to play my favorite game of baseball again. We had such great fun looking for baskets, my grandmother's penuche, and the opportunity to get outside and fly our new kites. Back then, it was my absolute favorite time. I loved being with my family and listening to all the great stories and moments spent with Tammie. When you are very young, you think times like those will last forever, but of course, they never do. Fortunately, my memories are strong, even if the photographs are faded.

I can still smell the Easter Lilly on my grandmother's dining room table, see the little rabbit ornament with the yellow egg in the middle, hear my Great-Grandmother's laugh, and smell my Grandfather's cologne. There was always a lot of loud talking and on occasion, my sister and I would get into a quarrel or two. Despite that, I never felt more comfortable and more me. Oh to spend one more Easter looking for baskets, eating ham and potato salad, and laughing with my aunts, cousins, and incomparable big sister.

A friend tells me that today is the true start of spring. When I look outside my home and at several feet of snow, that concept is not very hard for me to imagine. For after death there is rebirth and in the coldest winters and deepest snows, there is always hope. In a few weeks, the crocuses will pop out and the robins will return; life will slowly march on. We will embrace the new challenges that will emerge and even some happy times. I look forward to that, but will never forget the past. Many of the voices from those long ago times are silent now, but the people and their memory will always be with me. Most of all, I will remember my lovely sister, Tammie.


Not taken at Easter, but I like the photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment