Sunday, March 14, 2010

Selection Sunday


On October 25th, 2009, the New York Yankees were playing to go to the World Series. The Yankees were always our favorite team and this normally would have been a big deal, but it didn't mean anything that night. I was watching that game when we received a call from my Mom and Dad that Tammie had passed away. After hearing that awful news, I continued to watch as the incredible Mariano Rivera came in for the save. As I looked on, I thought back to the late 1970's and the great anticipation that we had as those awesome clubs struggled their way to three pennants and two World Championships. Tam and I were young then and full of hope for future successes. This year, the hope was gone, but the robotic Rivera continued to play. In my mind, it was a strange parallel to what I was experiencing.

Today is selection Sunday for the NCAA basketball tournament. Ordinarily, I would wait in great anticipation to find out where teams are seeded and what chance Syracuse had to advance in the tournament, but I feel very little interest in it this year. I might still watch some games, but the fun and excitement is definitely gone.

My first recollection of watching this tournament was in 1975 and I was watching in my parent's living room with my sister. Syracuse was playing Kansas State and was down by two points with just five seconds left in the game. To this day, it ranks as one of the most exciting games that I have ever seen. A few days earlier, Tammie got an opportunity to see and meet Rudy Hackett. Rudy was a the star center for Syracuse back then and several kids from our church were invited to see him at a gathering. Tammie's Sunday School teacher was Royce Newell, who himself was a former center for Syracuse University, and he played for them back in the 1940's. Royce was a gentle giant of a man who stood 6'8" tall and he scored 951 points in his college career. He arranged this memorable meeting and as a result, Tammie became a huge Rudy Hackett fan.

Syracuse had to go the length of the floor in those five seconds and Coach Roy Danforth instructed Jimmy "Bug" Williams to grab the inbounds pass and somehow find a way to get a shot off (This was way before any three point shot was instituted). "Bug" was out of Buffalo and an extremely fast point guard. In fact, that is how he got his name. Well, he shot off like a light and somehow got the ball to Rudy Hackett, who was darting across the lane. Hackett grabbed the ball turned and shot it with his left hand (he was right handed) and the ball went in to tie the game. Syracuse went on to win the contest in overtime and they eventually made it to the Final Four before losing to Kentucky. Back then, they had a consolation game at the Final Four and Syracuse lost to Louisville in that one. Despite the eventual heartbreak, I became a huge Syracuse fan in 1975 and Tam was right there with me.

Most every year, Tammie and I submitted picks for who we thought would win the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament. This year, I think I might develop one, but enter under my sister's name. If I win, I am going to do something special with it. I still miss her everyday. Sports was my savior throughout my life, but they seem very trivial now.

No comments:

Post a Comment