Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"Seems Like Old Times"


 I went over to my Mom and Dad's home for a run in the old neighborhood this evening. While there, I looked around at the quiet house and thought back to all the fun times we used to have there.  The old homestead looks a bit different, now. When I was growing up it was red and my father seemed to paint it just about every year. Most times, these paint jobs seemed to coincide with family vacations, but that's old news. 


I can remember playing seemingly endless games of wiffleball, basketball, and football (real and imagined), there. Sometimes by myself and sometimes with groups of friends. Whether I was with others or by myself, though,  I was never alone. 

By this time of year, Tammie and I would be back to school, as the long summer nights and warm days would be a distant memory. She always seemed to like being at school and interacting with her friends. Many times they would come over and fill the place with laughter and secret guy talk. Despite a nagging litle brother, they would always come. I think Tam's personality was too persuasive.


Tonight as I made yet another attempt to turn back the clock on my running "career".  I felt as though I was stuck in a place where the music had stopped and everyone had left years before. Fortunately, my Mom and Dad will be back home in a few days and the stillness will abate.


Believe me, I was a 5 minute miler twenty years ago! Now, I am just an old sweaty mess. :-)


I can only wish, but those don't come true.



No comments:

Post a Comment