Friday, July 2, 2010

4th of July

(Not from the 4th, but another similar carnival)

With the 4th of July coming up on Sunday, I started to think back to some of the ones that I experienced as a kid. For years in Camillus, there was this great parade that went from the Top of the Hill Restaurant to Camillus Plaza. We were very fortunate to live just off from West Genesee St. and could walk to the parade. My Mom always suggested that we wear red, white, and blue and then we were off for a day and night of fun.

Our high school's marching band has always been a big deal and even the four lanes of West Genesee St. could barely contain it. In fact, there was always some guy with a megaphone telling the parade watchers to back off and let the band through. I am quite sure that they were playing the Battle Hymn of the Republic, as the people always loved it. Oh well, I think in those early years that I was just at the parade for the gum and candy.

I remember that Tammie was there with us and we would all go to the Camillus Plaza and the local field days after the parade for a meatball sandwich from the Jaycees stand. Later that night, we would watch fireworks from our front lawn. Back in those days, we used to be able to sit right in the driveway and watch, but then the trees grew up and we had to shuffle on to the neighbors lawn. Man, I miss those times. Ususally, one of the shopping center stores would pay for the fireworks and often they shot them off two or three nights.

Things have certainly changed since then. This year, I plan on spending a low-key 4th of July without the fireworks and parade. Holidays and family gatherings meant so much to my sister and as a result, it is hard to imagine them without her. I will be thinking of her and those good times, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment