Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cardboard Belt


One night, when I lived in Albany with Tammie, Mike and the boys, we decided to pick-up some videos to watch. I had heard for years that "The Producers" by Mel Brooks was an absolutely hilarious film. Two thumbs-up from those two reviewer guys, who were always on tv. I was so excited when we found a copy and brought it home. We had comedy gold right there in Ravena!

Well, we put the film in and soon everyone was asleep in the room, except for Tammie and me. As far as I could tell, it was one of the worst films that I had ever seen. I have no idea why it was later brought back as a Broadway musical, nor why it was so wildly popular. In my opinion, there were two funny moments in the whole film and one of them can be seen here. The other was something that Tammie and I would joke about for years. At one point, Zero Mostel's character was speaking to Gene Wilder and says: "Look at me! I'm wearing a cardboard belt!".

Even years later when I would see her, she would come out with that line and we would laugh and laugh. Thing is I remember having a cardboard belt when I was a kid! Come to think of it, I have one right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment