Tuesday, February 16, 2010

1980 Lake Placid Olympics

Tammie brought back this plaque for my parents and it hangs prominently on their basement family room wall.


(I like this picture, because it includes a bumper sticker from this joint in Ravena. I don't think that it exists anymore, but they had this strange dish that had eggs, potatoes, and sausage all mushed together. Tam seemed to love it! As we all did)

I am watching the Olympics again, but this is the first year that I couldn't tell you who any of these competitors are. Also, there are so many new sports that it is almost impossible to keep track of everything. Frankly, some of them don't even look like real sports and why is Carrot Top riding a snowboard?

Back in 1980, I knew a lot of the names. People like Linda Fratianne, Mike Eruzione, the legendary Eric Heiden, and my personal favorite, Beth Heiden. Despite my rabid interest in sports, I knew little about the village of Lake Placid, New York. Tammie had decided to go to the Olympics that year with her friends, Cheryl and Marcie and we all thought that she was off her rocker. The traffic alone would preclude most from trying, but Marcie's little green whatchamacallit machine eventually made it through and Tammie had a lot of great stories to tell.

Now, there were a lot of great moments in those Olympics
and the highlight was probably Beth Heiden's Bronze medal.
Scratch that! I meant to write about Eric Heiden's five gold
medals and the "Miracle on Ice" United States hockey team.
Actually,
this Heiden
was amazing in that he won medals at every speed skating
distance. The equivalent
would be someone winning a 100 meter dash, the 400 meter run,
and a 10k
distance event, etc. This was a truly amazing accomplishment
and he did it all
outdoors
in front of the Lake Placid High School with the occasional
snow flake
hitting him in the face.. The hockey team's victory was
incredible too,
but Heiden was the star of that Olympics, in my opinion.

Well, Tammie made it to the Olympics and somewhere
there are some
great photos of her trip (Sean you will get a big kick
out of them,
if you find
them).

From what I remember, she attended the
hockey game and knowing
Tammie, she probably had an off the charts good time.
In addition to the game,
she got to see Heiden practicing and took some photos of that,
too.

Years later, I got to see the oval where he won all the medals,
toured the Olympics museum and saw the rink where hockey
was played.
Of course, Lake Placid also hosted the Olympics in 1932 and
there is mention
of the great Sonia Henie, as well. The Lake Placid trip was
wonderful and I
hope to go back someday. During my time there, I thought
of the great moments
and what it would have been like to witness them. Tammie had
that opportunity and
I am so happy that she did. I thought about her a lot on my
first trip to Lake Placid
and I am sure that I will think of her even more on future trips.


1 comment:

  1. Okay, this post got pretty messed up, but I got tired and couldn't figure out how to fix the font sizes. Sorry. :-(

    ReplyDelete