Thursday, January 21, 2010

Faith


I have no idea what it was, but for some reason older kids liked to pound me when I was a little boy. My mother told me that it was because I was big for my age and that it must have made some of the undersized older kids feel better. Who knows? Whatever the reason, I seemed to get pushed down or punched in the stomach an awful lot.

Fortunately for me, the toughest kid on my street lived in my own house. Of course, I had to keep on her good side or she would beat me up, too. Looking back, though, I don't recall that happening too often. Tam bailed me out a lot with those little gangsters and I always knew that if I found myself in a jam that she would be there.

Over the years, she helped me deal with those bullies, started my basketball and bowling "careers", was there at all my graduations, let me live with her while I attended graduate school, and was a big part of my wedding. I also appreciated the great sense of humor that she had and how she could make me laugh when I felt down. She had faith in me at times when I didn't have faith in myself.

Man, we used to watch this Cooley High film and I remember this song by the Four Tops that seems to fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment