Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mimi's Birthday

Cousin, Chris and "little" Sean, Mom, Mimi, "tiny" Derek, Brenda and Tam (I inadvertently cut myself out of this one)

Today is my grandmother's birthday. For years, we were never too sure of her age, but we are fairly certain that she turned ninety-nine, today. Years ago, I remember my Aunt Brenda telling a story about Mimi and how the people that worked with Mimi were determined to find out how old she was (She worked until she was 91!). They decided that they were going to go up into the cemetery and look for the stone that my grandmother had purchased for my deceased grandfather and herself. Their assumption was that there would be birth dates on the stone. Unfortunately, my grandmother outsmarted them all, as they would only find the names and the year of my grandfather's death.

From what I have heard, Mimi has had a tough go of things since my sister's death. Tammie used to call her every Sunday and the two would swap stories and I am sure that Tam probably shocked her a few times along the way. Although, that wasn't the case back in the beginning of October of this year, when Tammie was very sick and not always coherent. My grandmother was reluctant to talk to Tammie on the phone and as a result, she hadn't spoken to her since Tam had entered hospice. One day when my family and I were visiting, my grandmother called my mom's cellphone to ask about Tammie's condition. Now most of the visit, Tammie was entertaining us with some very colorful comments and was displaying just a glimmer of her former self.

As my mother spoke, I just had a feeling that this might be the last opportunity that Mimi would have to speak to her granddaughter. I interrupted the conversation to ask my mother if I could have the phone. She checked first with my grandmother and then I picked up the little cellphone and walked over to my sister. At this point, my sister had difficulty using her left hand and I placed it in her right hand and stood there in case she had trouble holding it. Tam seemed lucid for those few moments and the two carried on a very nice conversation. During that time, Tammie did not make one off-color or inappropriate remark. The phone conversation ended and I gave my mother back the phone, as Tammie explained to us that she had been good and didn't say "%*$& and @*%$#" to her grandmother.

Mimi and Tammie were two of the strongest personalities in our family. Despite that, they rarely clashed and had a wonderfully close relationship. My grandmother at this moment, is in a nursing home. I spoke with her today on her birthday and we had a short but sweet conversation. We talked about the Buffalo Bills, basketball and gifts that she had received. At the end, I expressed a hope that we would see her in Camillus in the spring, as this is the first time in several years that she has not been able to make it to my parent's home for Christmas. Mimi, we love you!

My grandmother used to sing this song to my mother when she was small and later, my mother sang it to Tammie and me. Who knew that Mimi was a Mizzou fan? and that it's Missouri's state song? Had trouble finding a good version but here are some other takes: Mizzou Marching Band and an Mizzou Men's A Cappella group.

No comments:

Post a Comment