Friday, November 27, 2009

Watermelon Rind Part 2.



I have had a few Thanksgivings without my sister, but not many. In 1996, she even rode down to Raleigh, NC with the rest of my family (Mike, Sean, Derek, Mom and Dad) to be with us on Turkey Day. Yesterday, I had trouble realizing that we would never again have a chance to share that holiday with her. Though, I was so happy to have Sean, Lindsay and Mike at our home this year. We will be forever grateful for how they visited and cared for my sister during those difficult final weeks.

This year, we did indeed have some watermelon rind and I made sure to have a couple of helpings. Come to find out, Mike told me that he wasn't sure that Tam even liked it. As my mom points out, Tam was such a traditionalist that she probably insisted on us having watermelon rind, because we had seemingly always had it. Oh well, I downed a bit of that slimy stuff anyway. Actually, it wasn't all that bad.

Normally at about this time of year, I start to make plans to go down to Wellsville and bring my grandmother back to Camillus for Christmas. My friend, Sean and I like to make this yearly trip and stop off at the Texas Hot, before we wind our way over to Mimi's. Unfortunately, I don't believe that is going to happen this year. My grandmother recently entered a nursing home after a particularly difficult time and is trying to rehabilitate herself before returning to her home. She and Tammie were quite close and I am afraid that Tammie's passing has had quite an effect on her. Let's hope that she gets better soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment