Saturday, May 1, 2010

Tam's Birthday


Today is Tammie's birthday and also Kentucky Derby Day. For me that seems appropriate, as Tammie loved horse racing. In fact, she worked for a time at the Saratoga track and got to learn a lot about racing and betting over her many trips there.

When we were kids, my Mom always made us pick a horse on Derby Day. For me, that meant choosing the favorite, as I absolutely hated to lose. Of course, I had no idea that the favorite rarely wins that race. That wasn't the case, however, in 1977, when I picked the great Seattle Slew. I loved watching that horse, because he always went right for the lead and just stayed there. Those of us who grew up in the Seventies got to see three Triple Crown Winners and almost a fourth in Spectacular Bid. Unfortunately, there hasn't been another Triple Crown Winner since.

In 1975 , I remember deciding on a horse named Foolish Pleasure and then having to face my grandfather who pointed out the foolishness of picking the favorite. I recall that he picked a horse named Bombay Duck and Tam selected Avatar. I got lucky that time, but Bombay Duck led for a good portion of the race. In fact, he was on a record pace before he was hit with a beer bottle, so that may have affected the outcome. Tam's horse came in second that year.

I watched the derby with my parents today, but missed Tammie and my Grandmother Mimi, who passed away on Wednesday. We have so many great family traditions and I cherish all my memories of them. Mimi, Nonne, and Tam loved this race so much and I imagine that they were watching from somewhere and not picking the favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment